May 18, 2008

Numismatic Articles III

The 1903-S Once Centavo: An Accidental Discovery

It was another Sunday morning and I was preparing to attend the Bayanihan Auction last February 19, 2006. As usual, I got-up that early morning, reviewed the auction catalogue, blocked-out the items I am interested which I usually do using highlighters before I set off to the auction venue. Every auction day for me is a thrilling adventure because this is the only chance you could see some rarities, touch it, review it, and otherwise purchase it defending on how much you are willing to spend or if you really have the money to compete and win the bid. As for me, I usually carry just enough money to satisfy my interest add some missing coins or either replace the poorer grade coins that I have of my USPI (United States and Philippine Island) collection. I usually concentrate with this era because this is far I know in terms of knowledge and expertise in the Philippine coins. I usually skip the Philippine-Spanish coinage because of a limited number of resources that would help me appreciate it more. more>>>


1908 One Peso, Pattern or Fake?

I have just discovered a unique specimen struck in a carbon like planchet of a 1908 – S One Peso. I have tried doing some research about this piece and even consulted some fellow numismatist regarding its discovery but I have not heard any consistent opinion regarding its authenticity except for the fact that there are several trial strikes documented by U.S. Numismatist also in the form of lead alloy but not this kind of material. more>>>


The Under Estimated Peso: Face Value vs. Intrinsic Value


Whenever I shop at the department store and pay for the items I purchased, I always have 1 centavo, 5 centavos, and 10 centavos change. I already have a jar full of these coins but I have not spent a single coin since nobody accepts them. I even tried using those for paying fares but not a single driver accepted and everybody thinks it is worthless. more>>>


Mule, Double-Struck, Double-Denomination, Pattern...What else can I say?

This set of coins is probably, one of the most unusual errors I have ever seen. These are 5 and 10-centavo coins, both were previously struck with only obverses but with different dates, the other set of dates belong to regular strikes 1967 and the other set with 1966 patterns. more>>>


1903-S Fifty Centavos: From P10 to $22, 000


The 1903 San Francisco Mint fifty centavos is perhaps the most expensive United States-Philippines coin ever sold, catalog at $22, 000. Only 2 specimen have reported and only one formally auctioned for the price mentioned. Do not mistake this one for the common 1903 Philadelphia Mint fifty centavos. This coin is an absolute rarity. more>>>



0 make comments on this post:

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2008 - 2013 www.filipinonumismatist.com